|||

cannellini experiment

Last weekend I soaked and cooked some cannellini beans in the pressure cooker. They are a little delicate and I definitely overcooked them slightly. I made some dip, put some in a salad and then had about 250g left. Would they work in a sourdough loaf?

The beans had a lot of moisture in them so I set the hydration to 75% and thought I’d use the beans at 24% of the total quantity of flour. This isn’t a high quantity of beans per loaf but I was playing it safe really. I used a 90/10 split of white flour to rye flour.

Here’s a loaf resting after first shaping. It’s looking good but by then I was fairly sure I should have lowered the hydration a bit to perhaps 72%.

And here are some images of the bread out of the oven. The rise, bloom and ear is fine although I could have fermented them a bit longer. I also love the texture on the loaf that you get from inclusions like rice or … beans.

And here’s an image of the crumb. You can clearly see some bean jewels in there, some of which have a slightly pink colour (no idea why).

The bread has a subtle creamy taste and texture in the mouth. But really there aren’t enough beans in there to radically effect the flour. Next time: Must. Be. Bolder.

But this little experiment did remind me that there aren’t too many things that won’t go in a sourdough loaf ;-)

Up next very old bread upcoming dates and an apology
Latest posts upcoming dates and an apology cannellini experiment very old bread when flour meets water back baking percentages and schedule bonci bread folded dried starter the meaning of the process gone fishing structure wet and wetter normal delivery Earlsdon festival lactobacillus away colouring of the crust spring festival ear photos from harvest 6000 years combo cooker and steam rye scald friday not saturday Merton semolina scald Watch the dough Merton rye 15 Merton semolina and sesame Merton rice and rye communal oven